Notebook and tablet related questions

Permalänk

MSI GE60 0nd laptop fan

Hi!

I have a GE60 0nd laptop and I've had no problems with it until yesterday (had it for about 2 years I think). The fan suddenly started to sound really really awful. I've opened it up and cleared it of dust etc., but the issue continue to exist.

I'm pretty sure I need to buy a new fan. Would you know where to do this? Is there any retailer in Sweden?

Permalänk
Skrivet av Zeke82:

Hello!
I have a rather odd question/request? Is it possible to request custom modifications on an MSI laptop (my sign)?
Meaning I request a modification that you do not sell or offer on your site? Or perhaps could name a technician/company that you would recommend for requests that "goes outside the box" so to speak.

The modification I would like to request involves internal hardware changes and external modifications - that requires soldering and knowledge of MSI laptops (thus my first thought was to ask you directly).

To make a long story short: connect the internal display (by its LVSD connector) directly to the MiniDisplay Port (either internally soldering, or external housing mounted on the laptop for the solution)

So to sum it up: really breaking the warranty hehe (I have no problems with that)

Best regards

Yes, that is an unusual request and MSI does not support modifying notebook parts which are not designed for user upgrade/modification.
Any modifications you do, are for your own risk and up to you to find out what is possible (if you want to risk it).
MSI Notebooks are usually designed with two or three displays in mind (e.g. HD+/FHD/IPS FHD/3K) and changing the LCD is not something we support (yet but you never know what the future brings).

In the case of the GT70 2PE MSI deliberately chose for Nvidia Optimus, thus routing the LCD through the Intel IGP instead of the Nvidia GPU. Also the external outputs are routed through the IGP.
This cannot be changed, unless you change the motherboard.
The IGP has its limitations on HDMI (i.e.max 1920x1080@60Hz, 24bpp) but I don't know what the maximum (refresh rate) is on the internal LVDS port, since no panels higher than 60Hz are tested by MSI. The external DisplayPort maximum on IGP is 3840x2160@60Hz, 24bpp (also possible 1920x1080@120Hz).

I hope this information helps you.

P.S.,
If I would like to use 120Hz gaming I would simply use an external monitor with DisplayPort and when I am travelling I would settle for 60Hz.

Permalänk
Skrivet av andbir:

How can I reconfigure the raid of my recently bought GT72 2QE-220NE with four SSD disks in raid, EFI supported bios. I would like to recreate the raid as two separate arrays of two disks each, where I want to install and boot Win7 on one disk raidset and Win8.1 on the other raidset. I don't want these two installations on the same partition or to share disks, they need to be separate from eachother.
The Win7 will be used for DJing and some other music production/processing and needs to stay extremely stable (you can imagine the virus scanner suddenly starting or Windows update applying an update while DJ:in infront of a crowd of 250 people to understand why) and the Win81 partition will be used for everything else.

How do I break the current raid config and set up new partitions as per the above specs
Is another strategy better (i.e. two separate raid volumes split across all four disks for better performance)
Do I need to (or can I even) downgrade to a non-EFI bios in order to install Win7
Which should I install first? or more to the point - Which OS should host the boot manager
How do I find my current windows 8.1 product key for the version installed when the laptop was delivered? Needed for reinstall (for my planned reinstall I will not be using the recovery dvds i already created just to be safe)

I think this should be possible (based on my experience with Intel Raid on motherboards but there might be more limitations to the notebooks RAID config)).
First make proper backups of your data and make the DVD recovery set so you can always get it back to factory settings.

The easiest way to get Win7 booting is to set the bios boot mode to Legacy (press DEL during bios booting to get to the bios setup).
Legacy boot mode is also compatible with Win8 (but you need to reinstall win8, which isn't a problem because changing the raid array means you need to reinstall anyway).
Once Legacy Mode is set you should press CTRL+I after the bios has completed booting, to enter the Intel RAID Option ROM setup.
Here you can reconfigure the RAID setup (I don't know if our bios has limitations on how many array or which modes are supported (normally I would expect RAID 0,1,0+1,5). I have never tried to create two RAID 0 sets myself yet, so I am not 100% sure that this can be done.
Once you have created your raid arrays you can start to reinstall Windows 8 first and later install Windows 7.

Apparently Windows 8's boot loader will automatically create a bootmenu where you can choose between Win8 and win7 if this guide can be trusted:
http://www.pagestart.com/win8dbwin701181301.html

I hope this helps.

Permalänk
Skrivet av Alexan92:

Im back and now I need to know if GTX 980M is compatible. GTX 980M
Since 880M is not a problem I don´t see that GTX 980M would be any problem fitting inside my laptop, but I just want to be sure before I order it.

The GTX980M's heatsink shape isn't physically compatible with GTX880M (or GTX780M).
So if you want to place a GTX980M you first need to find a fitting heatsink for this MXM card, otherwise it won't be properly cooled.

So for GT70 2OC the maximum would be GTX880M.

Still we don't recommend changing the MXM card to a different one. (MSI only guarantees the orignal GTX 770M to operate properly in the GT70 2OC)

Permalänk
Skrivet av karamellkungen:

Hi!

I have a GE60 0nd laptop and I've had no problems with it until yesterday (had it for about 2 years I think). The fan suddenly started to sound really really awful. I've opened it up and cleared it of dust etc., but the issue continue to exist.

I'm pretty sure I need to buy a new fan. Would you know where to do this? Is there any retailer in Sweden?

The best way is to contact the MSI notebook service hotline (handled by Infocare in Sweden) : +46-776700303.

They can tell you if the notebook is still in warranty. If not they can tell you if they still have the fans as spare part and what that those cost.

If your notebook is out of warranty and if the notebook service center cannot supply the cooler anymore, as a last resort you can order fans from third party websites like ebay/aliexpress.
Here is what I could find in a few minutes:
http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-ge60-fan.html?site=glo&...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-CPU-COOLING-FAN-FOR-MSI-GE...

Permalänk
Inaktiv

Thanks for the reply in this thread! Regarding the MSI GT72 2QE-227NE model - is it possible to deactivate the integrated GPU and run the Discrete GPU only? Been googling this and found sources for both answers :-S

Best regards

Z

Permalänk
Skrivet av Zeke82:

Thanks for the reply in this thread! Regarding the MSI GT72 2QE-227NE model - is it possible to deactivate the integrated GPU and run the Discrete GPU only? Been googling this and found sources for both answers :-S

Best regards

Z

The GT72 doesn't use optimus. Instead the GT72 has a hardware switch to select the GPU or IGP (switching between GPU and IGP requires a restart).
Here is a clear picture of the GPU button (the one below the power button)

form this article at notebookcheck.net.

While this switching button is less flexible in term of battery performance, it has a slight performance increase (~3%) and better external display output support (supports Nvidia Surround, higher resolutions and/or refresh rates).

Permalänk
Inaktiv

Awesome! Thank you for the clarification and validation of the info.

Best regards

Z

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi, I just got the same problem with my GE 60 fan that was mentioned earlier in this thread. I tried calling the number you provided but once I reached customer service they said that they did indeed repair MSI notebooks but were not allowed to sell spare parts and the person I was talking with was very confused that a representative from MSI had stated that they may have parts for sale. Since my warranty expired this summer (and I would suspect anyone who bought one 2 years ago doesn't either) I would much prefer fixing the problem myself.

Maybe I missunderstood, but I just wanted to share this information in case someone with the same problem is thinking about calling Infocare since they apparently can't help you unless you want to send in your laptop for repairs rather than fix the fan yourself. Unless there is some other way I could get my hands on a fan through more or less official dealers I guess I will have to go looking for a 3rd party site that have them available (your earlier links were somewhat helpful, thanks).

Take care,

Daniel

Permalänk
Skrivet av Danne M:

Hi, I just got the same problem with my GE 60 fan that was mentioned earlier in this thread. I tried calling the number you provided but once I reached customer service they said that they did indeed repair MSI notebooks but were not allowed to sell spare parts and the person I was talking with was very confused that a representative from MSI had stated that they may have parts for sale. Since my warranty expired this summer (and I would suspect anyone who bought one 2 years ago doesn't either) I would much prefer fixing the problem myself.

Maybe I missunderstood, but I just wanted to share this information in case someone with the same problem is thinking about calling Infocare since they apparently can't help you unless you want to send in your laptop for repairs rather than fix the fan yourself. Unless there is some other way I could get my hands on a fan through more or less official dealers I guess I will have to go looking for a 3rd party site that have them available (your earlier links were somewhat helpful, thanks).

Take care,

Daniel

I am sorry Daniel, I am still waiting for answers from HQ.

In the mean time I have also asked our sales department and they suggested that you should contact a retailer like Inet.se (or other shop) to order the part.
(Inet can order the part from our European Repair Center for you (if ERC has it on stock).

Permalänk

Hi,

Do you have any information when the GS60 notebook with NVIDIA® GTX 970M [6GB] will be available in Sweden?

BR,
Pete

Permalänk
Skrivet av threeminute:

Hi,

Do you have any information when the GS60 notebook with NVIDIA® GTX 970M [6GB] will be available in Sweden?

BR,
Pete

Dear Threeminute,

As it looks right now we will not carry a GS60 with 970M with 6GB GDDR5. Only GT72 2QD-256NE has 970M with 6GB GDDR5.

BR,
Bart

Permalänk

Hi,
Have you discontinued the gs60 with 3k and 256 ssd?
seems to be taken down from many sites and no restock...

Br/ Dag

Visa signatur

i7 930; RAMPAGE III GENE; 2st GV N470D5-13I-B; TR3X6G1600C8D; AX1200W; X25-M G2 160GB; U2711; EK-CoolStream RAD XT 120(2st) & 360; EK-DCP 4.0; EK-FC470 2st; EK-Supreme LT; mm...

Permalänk
Skrivet av Palle Pung:

Hi,
Have you discontinued the gs60 with 3k and 256 ssd?
seems to be taken down from many sites and no restock...

Br/ Dag

Dear Dag,

We have discontinued it with a 3K screen .. Komplett has 2 demo model left.

GTX870 https://www.komplett.no/msi-gs60-156-wqhd-ips-demo/829086
GTX970 https://www.komplett.no/msi-gs60-156-wqhd-demo/831504

We will come out with a 4K version of the GS60 although this will land early January i am afraid as production has not started yet.. (sold 3K out little to quickly)..

Hope this helps if not let me know!

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello. Will there be any model with an IPS display available in Sweden for the gt72? I'm also wondering about the ssd's. Is it M.2 or regular ssd's?

Visa signatur

Clevo P170EM: i7 3610QM - 8GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M - Plextor M3 Pro 128 GB SSD, 750 GB 7200 RPM - IC Diamond 7

Permalänk
Skrivet av ocr123:

Hello. Will there be any model with an IPS display available in Sweden for the gt72? I'm also wondering about the ssd's. Is it M.2 or regular ssd's?

Hi Ocr123,

At the moment none of our GT72 have IPS screens. Our new lineup that will arrive in Q1'15 will come with IPS or equivalent of IPS.

Currently all GT72`s have M.2 SATA.

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

Hi Ocr123,

At the moment none of our GT72 have IPS screens. Our new lineup that will arrive in Q1'15 will come with IPS or equivalent of IPS.

Currently all GT72`s have M.2 SATA.

BR,
Bart

Is M.2 SATA the same as M.2 pcie?

Visa signatur

Clevo P170EM: i7 3610QM - 8GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M - Plextor M3 Pro 128 GB SSD, 750 GB 7200 RPM - IC Diamond 7

Permalänk
Skrivet av ocr123:

Is M.2 SATA the same as M.2 pcie?

The main difference read speed.. please see below..

M.2 SATA is transfer rate of 500 MB/s
M.2 PCIE is transfer rate of on 1 lane is 1GB/s

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Medlem

There are 4 slots for M.2 SATA , then there are 2 slots for regular size drives. Are these SATA 2 or 3? GT72

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av ocr123:

There are 4 slots for M.2 SATA , then there are 2 slots for regular size drives. Are these SATA 2 or 3? GT72

hi Ocr123,

Those would be SATA3.

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

hi Ocr123,

Those would be SATA3.

BR,
Bart

Is it possible to use all 4 M.2 slots and both regular sized drives at the same time? Or is it either 4x M.2 + 1x SATA 3 or 2x SATA 3?

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av ocr123:

Is it possible to use all 4 M.2 slots and both regular sized drives at the same time? Or is it either 4x M.2 + 1x SATA 3 or 2x SATA 3?

Hi Ocr123,

You are correct it is either 4x M.2 + 1x SATA 3 or 2x SATA3.

On below link you can find a PDF that shows the different combinations for all notebook models we have.
http://www.msi.com/faq/nb-1117.html

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

Hi Ocr123,

You are correct it is either 4x M.2 + 1x SATA 3 or 2x SATA3.

On below link you can find a PDF that shows the different combinations for all notebook models we have.
http://www.msi.com/faq/nb-1117.html

BR,
Bart

I downloaded the PDF, but according to the PDF:
4x M.2 Type 2280 SSD card (support M.2 SATA interface) + 1x SATA2 or X + 2x SATA3.

This doesn't make sense to me. Is it just a typo?

Visa signatur

Permalänk

I'm considering buying one of the GS70 series Laptop for a slim gaming laptop without the massive pricetag that the 970m brings.

But is the 860m you guys use the Kepler or Maxwell variant? Or do you have both on the market? If so, which model number is which?

And just to be sure, the 870m is only Kepler, right?

(For those not familiar, Maxwell is the new architecture that the 900 desktop series is based on, while it doesn't bring and revolutions in power, it does in efficiency, which in theory translates to less heat, and less energy use)

Visa signatur

R I P
PSU:XFX PRO750W (tog sitt egna liv tillsammans med moderkortet)
Chassi:Obsidian 550D Moderkort:Asus P8Z68 PRO/GEN3 Processor:Intel i5 2500K 4,3Ghz (kyld av Noctua U12P) Ramminne:16Gb Kingston Hyperx 1600Mhz Grafikkort:MSI Twin Frozr V GTX 970

Permalänk
Skrivet av ocr123:

I downloaded the PDF, but according to the PDF:
4x M.2 Type 2280 SSD card (support M.2 SATA interface) + 1x SATA2 or X + 2x SATA3.

This doesn't make sense to me. Is it just a typo?

Below is possible..
1xHDD (2.5" SATA3) + SATA2 ODD
1xSSD (2.5" SATA3) + SATA3 HDD + SATA2 ODD
2xM.2 (SATA3) + SATA2 HDD + SATA2 ODD
4xM.2 (SATA3) + SATA2 HDD + SATA2 ODD

SATA2(300MB/s) doesn't really matter as 2.5" HDD 7200rpm HDD is max 130MB/s..

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Skrivet av Plasmatic:

I'm considering buying one of the GS70 series Laptop for a slim gaming laptop without the massive pricetag that the 970m brings.

But is the 860m you guys use the Kepler or Maxwell variant? Or do you have both on the market? If so, which model number is which?

And just to be sure, the 870m is only Kepler, right?

(For those not familiar, Maxwell is the new architecture that the 900 desktop series is based on, while it doesn't bring and revolutions in power, it does in efficiency, which in theory translates to less heat, and less energy use)

Hi Plasmatic,

The model currently available GS70 2PC-285NE is with Maxwell GPU.

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

Below is possible..
1xHDD (2.5" SATA3) + SATA2 ODD
1xSSD (2.5" SATA3) + SATA3 HDD + SATA2 ODD
2xM.2 (SATA3) + SATA2 HDD + SATA2 ODD
4xM.2 (SATA3) + SATA2 HDD + SATA2 ODD

SATA2(300MB/s) doesn't really matter as 2.5" HDD 7200rpm HDD is max 130MB/s..

BR,
Bart

I'm planning on buying the version with 2x 128gb M.2 ssd in raid 0. Can I uppgrade later with 2x 256gb M.2 ssd making 2x 128gb + 2x 256gb or do they need to be the same size?

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

Hi Plasmatic,

The model currently available GS70 2PC-285NE is with Maxwell GPU.

BR,
Bart

That is Superb news!
Then I have a couple follow up questions;
Is it a TN panel, or an IPS? (I assume TN, but the sources that claim TN, also claim Kepler)
Is the chassis made of Aluminium/Magnesium? Or a plastic hybrid type like most of the cheaper models?
Is the back plate removable to replace/swap hard drives/ram etc or will that void the warranty?
Is the battery removable/replaceable?

Thank you very much for a speedy answer!

Visa signatur

R I P
PSU:XFX PRO750W (tog sitt egna liv tillsammans med moderkortet)
Chassi:Obsidian 550D Moderkort:Asus P8Z68 PRO/GEN3 Processor:Intel i5 2500K 4,3Ghz (kyld av Noctua U12P) Ramminne:16Gb Kingston Hyperx 1600Mhz Grafikkort:MSI Twin Frozr V GTX 970

Permalänk
Skrivet av Plasmatic:

That is Superb news!
Then I have a couple follow up questions;
Is it a TN panel, or an IPS? (I assume TN, but the sources that claim TN, also claim Kepler)
Is the chassis made of Aluminium/Magnesium? Or a plastic hybrid type like most of the cheaper models?
Is the back plate removable to replace/swap hard drives/ram etc or will that void the warranty?
Is the battery removable/replaceable?

Thank you very much for a speedy answer!

Hi Plasmatic,

It has an TN panel.
It is made from Aluminium/Magnesium alloy.
The backplate is removable to replace/swap parts without voiding warranty.. keep in mind that when you do and the notebook comes in, RMA team will take closer look if the defect is not caused by your upgrade.
Battery is not removable.

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Skrivet av ocr123:

I'm planning on buying the version with 2x 128gb M.2 ssd in raid 0. Can I uppgrade later with 2x 256gb M.2 ssd making 2x 128gb + 2x 256gb or do they need to be the same size?

You can add 2 SSD`s later but can only use 1x RAID so they would have to be same size if you want the 2 SSD`s in RAID 0 as well..