Notebook and tablet related questions

Permalänk
Skrivet av andbir:

...Getting somewhat tired of waiting for the release of the -033NE -- why the delayed schedule? Are they waiting for the sales of the -028 to pick up? It probably won't, since it is one of the "lesser" models. I'm off to Barcelona for a week - if the -033 isn't released when I come back i might have to opt for an Asus and I don't really want to.

Dear Andbir,

The -033NE has been canceled as we will launch a new model with some updates to the specification. I am not able to tell you much more at this point on what we have changed. But keep your eye on Sweclockers newsfeeed to know more about it, it will be worth the wait..

GT72 2PC-064NE has arrived in Sweden will be online soon
GT72 2PE-028NE Currently available
GT72 2PE-024NE has arrived in Sweden will be online soon

Very sorry for the delays..

BR,
Bart

Permalänk

anyone from MSI is welcome to answer my question that i posted before andbir since i would really like to know this before i plan to open laptop to upgrade it with 3 new msata

Permalänk
Skrivet av JakeSully:

anyone from MSI is welcome to answer my question that i posted before andbir since i would really like to know this before i plan to open laptop to upgrade it with 3 new msata

A similar question has been answered by Bart a few posts back:

Citat:

Hi OskarD90,

Standard rule for RMA for majority of vendors is that self-repair or opening up a notebook is not permitted hence the sticker on the backside of the notebook. Most vendors including MSI turn a blind eye to self-repair of widely available hardware such as HDD/SSD/Memory main reason is that if push comes to shove we are still to repair the notebook if the damage is not caused by the swapped out part or the action taken for swapping out the part (damages to chassis or other components).

While I know this doesn't solve your problem, I do hope it gives you a better understanding why some things are “allowed” and others are not. It is not a matter of trust in the ability of our customers but simply the rules we have to live by when it comes to RMA.

BR,
Bart

Permalänk

well thing is i dont wanna pay 700-900SEK just to get a service center to do jobb for me :/ since when i asked on MSI per to per forum meny people there said MSI allows owners of laptops to open their laptops without warranty being voided as long user did not damage anything inside if they damage something then warranty is voided.

Also they even said that MSI themself has told them that it is allowed and so on.

And a friend of mine owns a MSI laptop as well and he contacted MSI about warranty sticker and they told him he was allowed to break it as long he did not do any damages in laptop then warranty is still vaild, so yeah thats why i wanna be able to open mine so i can etc swap out 2 msata in it with 3 new ones and if the wifi card one day breaks in future i can then do same with that by swaping it out with a new one and i know which wifi card this one has by default and i allways check which stuff is compatible 1st before i buy to make sure i do not get something that would break laptop.

Also my friend lives in Sweden to i sat right next to him few days ago while he sat with his MSI laptop so i asked him about warranty sticker then he told me what i wrote above.

Permalänk
Skrivet av JakeSully:

well thing is i dont wanna pay 700-900SEK just to get a service center to do jobb for me :/ since when i asked on MSI per to per forum meny people there said MSI allows owners of laptops to open their laptops without warranty being voided as long user did not damage anything inside if they damage something then warranty is voided.

Also they even said that MSI themself has told them that it is allowed and so on.

And a friend of mine owns a MSI laptop as well and he contacted MSI about warranty sticker and they told him he was allowed to break it as long he did not do any damages in laptop then warranty is still vaild, so yeah thats why i wanna be able to open mine so i can etc swap out 2 msata in it with 3 new ones and if the wifi card one day breaks in future i can then do same with that by swaping it out with a new one and i know which wifi card this one has by default and i allways check which stuff is compatible 1st before i buy to make sure i do not get something that would break laptop.

Also my friend lives in Sweden to i sat right next to him few days ago while he sat with his MSI laptop so i asked him about warranty sticker then he told me what i wrote above.

Dear JakeSully,

You are allowed to make changes by your self. As long as you don't damage the notebook in the process. please keep in mind that when the warranty sticker is broken and the notebook is send in to RMA, Infocare will take a closer look that the RMA isn't caused by the upgrade.

Br,
Bart

Permalänk

okay phew i thought upgrading, re-placing stuff was forbidden to so yeah now i know i can break sticker to do these stuff thanks MSI_Bart for your reply.

Also to make sure when i break sticker the warranty is still vaild right? just making sure thats why i'm asking this

Permalänk
Medlem

Hello msi,
I have msi gt70-2oc, ms-1763 and I want to know if gtx 880m would fit this laptop and that my proccessor is good enough to handle it? Atm it has 770m 3GB and latest bios version updated.

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT70-2OC.html - laptop
http://m.ebay.com/itm/251445052078?nav=SEARCH - gpu

Permalänk
Skrivet av Alexan92:

Hello msi,
I have msi gt70-2oc, ms-1763 and I want to know if gtx 880m would fit this laptop and that my proccessor is good enough to handle it? Atm it has 770m 3GB and latest bios version updated.

The CPU won't be the issue. I'll have to check with HQ if the GPU is supported, if it's fits and if the thermal unit and PSU is able to handle this GPU.
I'll get back to you once I get an answer.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

Basically this is what you prefer. You can either store the ISOs on a hard drive and burn them if you need them, or burn them immediately via MSI Burn Recovery.
Windows 7 & 8 are able to burn ISO to a DVD without additional software.

Yes of course!

I used the hidden partition to restore the computer to factory settings. But it took over 7 hours to complete, which can't be normal?
Now, the computer is restored, but a lot of windows updates have failed. And I wonder how I should proceed to re-install them.

Otherwise, it feels very good to have a fully restored computer and it seems to roll on as it should.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

The CPU won't be the issue. I'll have to check with HQ if the GPU is supported, if it's fits and if the thermal unit and PSU is able to handle this GPU.

Ok perfect, thanks!

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

Permalänk
Skrivet av swinkie:

Yes of course!

I used the hidden partition to restore the computer to factory settings. But it took over 7 hours to complete, which can't be normal?
Now, the computer is restored, but a lot of windows updates have failed. And I wonder how I should proceed to re-install them.

Otherwise, it feels very good to have a fully restored computer and it seems to roll on as it should.

Windows 8 will try to remove the additional languages bundled in the factory image. This can take a while.
You can disable the removal: http://www.msi.com/faq/nb-646.html
Manually removing the languages is also an option. More information can be found here: link

Permalänk
Skrivet av Alexan92:

Ok perfect, thanks!

Skickades från m.sweclockers.com

HQ confirmed the GTX770M and GTX880M share the same thermal module so you're able to replace the GPU. Be aware the GTX880M memory size is different and also the chip placement is different so you'll need more thermal pads to get all the chips cooled.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

Windows 8 will try to remove the additional languages bundled in the factory image. This can take a while.
You can disable the removal: http://www.msi.com/faq/nb-646.html
Manually removing the languages is also an option. More information can be found here: link

Alright that could actually be it. When booting or re-booting the computer after a update-install I do get that message "Configuring Windows Features". That also takes several minutes which match with the description.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like in windows update at the moment:
http://i.imgur.com/BVlV7Qy.png

I know it's in swedish there, but you may be able to read the codes to see what they mean. If they are language packs like you said, then I guess i try removing them by my self. The picture shows about half of all the failed updates which pretty much have the same title. But to me it feels like safety updates are quite important.

Permalänk
Skrivet av JakeSully:

okay phew i thought upgrading, re-placing stuff was forbidden to so yeah now i know i can break sticker to do these stuff thanks MSI_Bart for your reply.

Also to make sure when i break sticker the warranty is still vaild right? just making sure thats why i'm asking this

Hi JakeSully,

Your warranty will still be valid when you break the sticker.

BR,

Bart

Permalänk
Skrivet av swinkie:

Alright that could actually be it. When booting or re-booting the computer after a update-install I do get that message "Configuring Windows Features". That also takes several minutes which match with the description.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like in windows update at the moment:
http://i.imgur.com/BVlV7Qy.png

I know it's in swedish there, but you may be able to read the codes to see what they mean. If they are language packs like you said, then I guess i try removing them by my self. The picture shows about half of all the failed updates which pretty much have the same title. But to me it feels like safety updates are quite important.

I think in thsi case it's best to remove the languages manually as Windows 8 already started doing this in the background.
Try the lpsetup method. I takes some time, but it's not very difficult: lpsetup
Afterwards the Windows Updates should go fine.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

The -033NE has been canceled as we will launch a new model with some updates to the specification. I am not able to tell you much more at this point on what we have changed. But keep your eye on Sweclockers newsfeeed to know more about it, it will be worth the wait..

So I guess you are telling me to not go ahead and buy an Asus or the -024, but could you please make an informed guess about the timeframe for this yet-to-be-released updated version of the GT72? Thanks

Permalänk
Skrivet av andbir:

So I guess you are telling me to not go ahead and buy an Asus or the -024, but could you please make an informed guess about the timeframe for this yet-to-be-released updated version of the GT72? Thanks

Hi Andbir,

This is were it gets tricky as i am not allowed to give you a launch date.. all I can say is that new models we will arrive in stock in October.

Hope it helps..

BR,
Bart

Permalänk
Inaktiv

Nvidia optimus issues

Hi there. I have an issue with the computer in my sign.
The integrated HD4600 requires 3rd party software (from intel) and will override nvidia panel control.

Currently it is not possible to add custom resolutions + refresh rates (as you can in nvidia panel) due to HD4600 being crapp (read about it on the forums and look for resolution maximum bandwidth)

The result is that 3D applications (usling gtx 880m) only have access to the default resolutions controlled by HD4600

The end result = users can not clock their monitor settings for higher refresh rates and will be stuck at 60hz for all applications when using the integrated monitor.

This is very sad. 60hz on a gaming laptop is lol, but I realy thought I would be able to add my own resolutions. But thanks to nvidia optimus, the HD4600 card will kill this.

I would recomend you to add a feature to bypass optimus like Alienware did. If you are serious about gamers and your gaming laptops - please release an unlocked bios to disable optimus with the integraded intel GPU or just cancel Optimus in future gaming laptops.

We (gamers) do not need powersaving functionality, and when things end up like this - you feel cheated as a customer. i would have bought the Alienware r18 if I had the chance to change my mind

Regads,
Very sad panda

Permalänk
Inaktiv

Hi again - I feel that my above post was not "creative critique". Please let me explain:

1. The integrated Intel HD graphic card has a cap of 60hz. This is a fact and nothing a user can change.
Link to source: https://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2...
Link online test: http://testufo.com/

2. The integrated Intel HD graphic card can be disabled with an unlocked BIOS - however the integrated screen will then be un-usable.
It is important that all users who google day and night on how to disable Nvidia Optimus and the integrated HD graphic card understands this. The reason behind this is that the Integrated HD graphic card is directly in communication with the screen (a very low level explanation just to make it clear for everyone). When the discrete graphic card is used - it is routed trough the integrated Intel HD graphic card and passed on to the integrated screen. Disabling the Intel HD graphic card = breaking the chain, thus you will have no image on your integrated screen.

3. Because of the Intel HD graphic card 60hz cap - you will NOT be able to clock your integrated screen in Windows (example custom resolution with more than 60hz). This means that even if you run games (3D applications) with your discrete graphic card (ex GTX 880M) you will still not be able to select anything above 60hz - as stated in #2 -> everything is routed trough the Intel HD graphic card.

4. IF you want to get anything above 60hz -> you need to connect an external monitor.
***Now this is a very important part*** IF you want 120hz or 144hz (Gsync screens) you must use the MiniDisplay port OR Dual-Link DVI
Link source: http://carbonite.co.za/f20/144hz-120hz-output-msi-gt70-laptop...

5. If you are still interested in custom BIOS for your MSI laptop - you should visit this forum and request it from user Svet.
I did this and he delivers within 2 hours! You also get access to MSI custom flash bios tool (flashing for dummies made easy)
Link source: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?board=51.0

6. Finally. This is why I am giving this laptop negative critique. Based on the Nvidia Optimus limitations, I will never be able to get more than 60hz on my integrated screen. As a gamer - this is a show stopper.

So before you buy a gaming laptop - make sure YOU DO NOT CHOOSE ONE WITH NVIDIA OPTIMUS. And if you do that anyway - make sure it is an Alienware that can turn it of (fn+f7)! Else - prepare to get sad panda! You have been warned, K? I cant even..

Best regards

Onödiga "söktaggar" borttagna
Permalänk
Skrivet av Zeke82:

Hi there. I have an issue with the computer in my sign.
The integrated HD4600 requires 3rd party software (from intel) and will override nvidia panel control.

Currently it is not possible to add custom resolutions + refresh rates (as you can in nvidia panel) due to HD4600 being crapp (read about it on the forums and look for resolution maximum bandwidth)

The result is that 3D applications (usling gtx 880m) only have access to the default resolutions controlled by HD4600

The end result = users can not clock their monitor settings for higher refresh rates and will be stuck at 60hz for all applications when using the integrated monitor.

This is very sad. 60hz on a gaming laptop is lol, but I realy thought I would be able to add my own resolutions. But thanks to nvidia optimus, the HD4600 card will kill this.

I would recomend you to add a feature to bypass optimus like Alienware did. If you are serious about gamers and your gaming laptops - please release an unlocked bios to disable optimus with the integraded intel GPU or just cancel Optimus in future gaming laptops.

We (gamers) do not need powersaving functionality, and when things end up like this - you feel cheated as a customer. i would have bought the Alienware r18 if I had the chance to change my mind

Regads,
Very sad panda

In Nvidia Optimus solutions the graphics outputs to displays are routed through the Intel Graphics part. The Intel graphics limits the resolution on HDMI to 1920x1080@60Hz but the DisplayPort is capable of resolutions and refresh rates higher than that (3840x2160@60Hz and aslo support 1920x1080@120Hz)

We have been testing with a 120Hz BenQ XL2420T monitor (is the only 120Hz monitor in my office atm) and this particular monitor only allows 1920x1080@120Hz over Dual-Link DVI or DisplayPort.
It simply doesn't offer this resolution at 120Hz over HDMI.

After searching the internet this seems to be a very common limitation among 120Hz monitors.

Our advise is to use (mini-)DisplayPort on the GT70-2PE Dominator Pro if you want to use 120Hz monitors.

Permalänk
Inaktiv

Will I be able to upgrade my GTX 880M to a GTX 980M in the GT70-2PE Dominator?

Best regards

Z

Permalänk
Skrivet av Zeke82:

Will I be able to upgrade my GTX 880M to a GTX 980M in the GT70-2PE Dominator?

Best regards

Z

MSI does not recommend replacing the original MXM module with other models.

The GPU cooling heatsink and pads are designed for one particular MXM modules and MSI cannot guarrantee that this heatsink is compatible with other models.

Permalänk
Medlem

new GT72 launches in october

Skrivet av MSI_Bart:

Hi Andbir,
This is were it gets tricky as i am not allowed to give you a launch date.. all I can say is that new models we will arrive in stock in October.

So I have noticed the new GT72s popping up (but out of stock) in various places.

Please correct me if anything below is wrong or if some other model than the 2QE-234NE feature no blu-ray. For example does the 2QE-280NE model feature a DVD-writer or a combo blu-ray?

I'd also like to know if there is any difference in the type of SSD-disk included or if it's a varying number but the exact same physical model of M.2 SSD-disk in all these models, configured for raid when possible. Will it possible to buy more of these specific M.2 SSDs and upgrade or will I forever be stuck at 256gb if I buy the 2QE-227NE? Optimally, I'd like to be able to double-boot with two different raid-volumes; one Win7 for my DJ:ing and one Win8 for everything else.

GT72 2QE-200NE 32990kr GTX980m/8gb; 32gb; 512gb SSD (4 x 128 superraid); Core i7-4860HQ
GT72 2QE-220NE 26990kr GTX980m/8gb; 32gb; 512gb SSD (4 x 128 superraid); Core i7-4710HQ
GT72 2QE-227NE 21990kr GTX980m/8gb; 16gb; 256gb SSD (2 x 128 superraid); Core i7-4710HQ
GT72 2QE-234NE 19990kr GTX980m/8gb; 16gb; 128gb SSD (1 x 128 no-raid) ; Core i7-4710HQ; no blu-ray
GT72 2QE-280NE 18490kr GTX980m/8gb; 8gb; 128gb SSD (1 x 128 no-raid) ; Core i7-4710HQ
GT72 2QD-256NE 18490kr GTX970m/6gb; 16gb; 128gb SSD (1 x 128 no-raid) ; Core i7-4710HQ

Are there any other differences than those listed above that a customer should be aware of when selecting which model to buy?

As noted before, "the most extensible laptop yet" still does not feature any particular expansion possibilities above and beyond the lovely possibility to connect multiple screens (and to connect to USB devices, but any laptop can do this). Particularly I'm missing an eSATA port, a Firewire port and ExpressCard expansion possibilities. While each of these is no biggie, the lack of all three makes the laptop somewhat non-expandable in my point of view. Please pass this on to the design team. While I understand that you are missing space for ExpressCard and that FireWire is associated with a higher cost, adding an eSATA port should not be that difficult. A reply to this section is not necessary (you already answered this once). A removable optical drive with the option to replace it with an adapter for ExpressCard or with an extra battery pack would be an awesome addition to this outstanding flagship.

Which models come with the MSI superpack?

Thank you,

Andreas

EDIT: Well nevermind. I just bought the GT72 2QE-220NE

Permalänk
Inaktiv

Hello!
I have a rather odd question/request? Is it possible to request custom modifications on an MSI laptop (my sign)?
Meaning I request a modification that you do not sell or offer on your site? Or perhaps could name a technician/company that you would recommend for requests that "goes outside the box" so to speak.

The modification I would like to request involves internal hardware changes and external modifications - that requires soldering and knowledge of MSI laptops (thus my first thought was to ask you directly).

To make a long story short: connect the internal display (by its LVSD connector) directly to the MiniDisplay Port (either internally soldering, or external housing mounted on the laptop for the solution)

So to sum it up: really breaking the warranty hehe (I have no problems with that)

Best regards

Permalänk
Medlem

How can I reconfigure the raid of my recently bought GT72 2QE-220NE with four SSD disks in raid, EFI supported bios. I would like to recreate the raid as two separate arrays of two disks each, where I want to install and boot Win7 on one disk raidset and Win8.1 on the other raidset. I don't want these two installations on the same partition or to share disks, they need to be separate from eachother.
The Win7 will be used for DJing and some other music production/processing and needs to stay extremely stable (you can imagine the virus scanner suddenly starting or Windows update applying an update while DJ:in infront of a crowd of 250 people to understand why) and the Win81 partition will be used for everything else.

How do I break the current raid config and set up new partitions as per the above specs
Is another strategy better (i.e. two separate raid volumes split across all four disks for better performance)
Do I need to (or can I even) downgrade to a non-EFI bios in order to install Win7
Which should I install first? or more to the point - Which OS should host the boot manager
How do I find my current windows 8.1 product key for the version installed when the laptop was delivered? Needed for reinstall (for my planned reinstall I will not be using the recovery dvds i already created just to be safe)

Permalänk
Skrivet av Zeke82:

Hello!
I have a rather odd question/request? Is it possible to request custom modifications on an MSI laptop (my sign)?
Meaning I request a modification that you do not sell or offer on your site? Or perhaps could name a technician/company that you would recommend for requests that "goes outside the box" so to speak.

The modification I would like to request involves internal hardware changes and external modifications - that requires soldering and knowledge of MSI laptops (thus my first thought was to ask you directly).

To make a long story short: connect the internal display (by its LVSD connector) directly to the MiniDisplay Port (either internally soldering, or external housing mounted on the laptop for the solution)

So to sum it up: really breaking the warranty hehe (I have no problems with that)

Best regards

Skrivet av andbir:

How can I reconfigure the raid of my recently bought GT72 2QE-220NE with four SSD disks in raid, EFI supported bios. I would like to recreate the raid as two separate arrays of two disks each, where I want to install and boot Win7 on one disk raidset and Win8.1 on the other raidset. I don't want these two installations on the same partition or to share disks, they need to be separate from eachother.
The Win7 will be used for DJing and some other music production/processing and needs to stay extremely stable (you can imagine the virus scanner suddenly starting or Windows update applying an update while DJ:in infront of a crowd of 250 people to understand why) and the Win81 partition will be used for everything else.

How do I break the current raid config and set up new partitions as per the above specs
Is another strategy better (i.e. two separate raid volumes split across all four disks for better performance)
Do I need to (or can I even) downgrade to a non-EFI bios in order to install Win7
Which should I install first? or more to the point - Which OS should host the boot manager
How do I find my current windows 8.1 product key for the version installed when the laptop was delivered? Needed for reinstall (for my planned reinstall I will not be using the recovery dvds i already created just to be safe)

Dear Zeke82 and Andbir,

Thanks for your questions, our technical professionals will come back to your questions after the weekend.

BR,

Jerry

Permalänk

Interesting update for people that want to overclock their GTX 980M.

The GTX 980M is extremely high performing out of the box already, but there is always more to gain if you’re brave enough. That’s right, today we will be overclocking a little bit.

Before doing this yourself, you should know that the drivers limit how high you can actually set your GPU frequency. Being a mobile GPU, you won’t have to worry about fan profiles or voltages though, as these are simply not adjustable – all you need to worry about is clock frequencies. No power limits, no fan profiles.

Test system:
MSI GT72
Intel Core i7-4700HQ
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB
16GB DDR3-1600

First off, the stock base runs in 3DMark Fire Strike, 3DMark 11:

The 980M-equipped GT72 scores a cool 8207p in Fire Strike and over 11000 in 3DMark 11 on the performance preset – figures that even the high-end offerings on the desktop side just recently can’t match. For example, the same system with a GTX 580 wouldn’t reach these scores.

Never mind though – we were supposed to try out overclocking, so with Afterburner 4.0, we set core frequency as high as it would go (+135MHz or 1173MHz/1262MHz Boost on GPU and 6212MHz on the memory). The GPU had no problem with this frequency, while higher memory frequencies would crash. The results are even further improved performance, with little increase in graphics card temperature – the Fire Strike score increases from 8207 to 9107 points, a 10.97% increase in performance with no effort to speak of.

The 3DMark 11 scores also yield a nice boost of a bit over 600 points, or 5.55% at the same frequencies.

There is almost always free performance to gain from overclocking – just make sure your cooling is up for the job. In the GT72, these bumps in frequency doesn’t load the cooling too much, so they work for pretty much every day use.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Alexan92:

Hello msi,

Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

Skrivet av MSI_Leon:

HQ confirmed the GTX770M and GTX880M share the same thermal module so you're able to replace the GPU. Be aware the GTX880M memory size is different and also the chip placement is different so you'll need more thermal pads to get all the chips cooled.

Im back and now I need to know if GTX 980M is compatible. GTX 980M
Since 880M is not a problem I don´t see that GTX 980M would be any problem fitting inside my laptop, but I just want to be sure before I order it.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi!

I´m just wondering since the other versions of the new GS60/70 with the 970m has been released in Sweden, will we see the GS70 "Red" 2QE-049NE on the swedish market soon? Seems like every other model except the red one is available atm

Permalänk
Skrivet av Aarox:

Hi!

I´m just wondering since the other versions of the new GS60/70 with the 970m has been released in Sweden, will we see the GS70 "Red" 2QE-049NE on the swedish market soon? Seems like every other model except the red one is available atm

Hi Aarox,

I have a suprise for you.. product pictures we are still working on.. you can find them on our site on second link.

http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/datorer_och_tillbehor/206379-m...

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GS70-2QE-Stealth-Pro-Red-Editio...

BR,
Bart