Confused about the ethernet splitter setup at home. PC via ethernet cannot WiFi devices?

Permalänk
Medlem

Confused about the ethernet splitter setup at home. PC via ethernet cannot WiFi devices?

Hej!

I hope someone can help me out, despite I text in English.

I have a cabinet at the entrance of the apartment with a splitter that, through ethernet cables, distributes the internet to different ports of each room. First time I see something like this to be honest. The router is connected through one of these ports in the living room.

My situation is that I have the computer connected to one of the ethernet outputs in the dormitory and a printer connected via WiFi. The problem is that the computer cannot find the printer nor access the router settings. However, that problem does not exist with any device connected directly to the router wired or wifi.

Does anyone know a solution to this? Is there some config I could change? I can provide some pictures if that helps to explain the setup.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice given.

Router: Technicolor TG799VAC Xtream
Provider: Telia

Permalänk
Medlem

A picture would have helped, but I have a feeling what it might look like.

You say "splitter". Does it look anything like this?

If yes, then it's a "media splitter". Your internet connection should be the "Red marked" port. TV (if using Telia Digital TV box) should be connected to the Yellow marked port.

You should connect the WAN port on the Technicolor router to the "red marked port" on the splitter.
Then you connect each room of your choise in the appartment to the router through the connectors in the cabinet, except for the port going to the TV if you are using a "Telia Digital TV box". This should be connected to the Yellow Marked port on the Media Splitter.

If you want more ethernet ports in a room then you need a switch in that room.
You should avoid connecting any other devices then the "Telia Digital TV Box" to the network that is connected to the yellow port on the media splitter.

Telia uses a separate sub net for the TV, to guarantee that your activities on "The Internet" does not impact the quality on the TV picture.

If I am correct about the above, then the reason your computer can not access the printer, is because you accidentally created a sub-net with the router and the devices connected to it in the livingroom. And you probably have 1 network connected to the red port, and one to the Yellow port, that should only host the "Digital TV box".

Hope this wall of text does not make you more confused, and hopefully you will get the stuff working as you wish.

Permalänk
Medlem

Hi Viita, much appreciated for your reply.

Your wall of text was certainly clarifying and I think you are mostly right, no worries.

I took some pictures of the installation. It seems very similar to what you explained, except for the color layout. And at the moment I don't have plugged the digital TV Box that you mention, as you can see on my pictures.

https://imgshare.io/image/NpeE6P

I'm not aware that I created a subnet but just in case I triggered a factory reset of the router, to no avail though.

Any idea on what could be causing these issues?

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av FRRN:

Hej!

I hope someone can help me out, despite I text in English.

I have a cabinet at the entrance of the apartment with a splitter that, through ethernet cables, distributes the internet to different ports of each room. First time I see something like this to be honest. The router is connected through one of these ports in the living room.

My situation is that I have the computer connected to one of the ethernet outputs in the dormitory and a printer connected via WiFi. The problem is that the computer cannot find the printer nor access the router settings. However, that problem does not exist with any device connected directly to the router wired or wifi.

Does anyone know a solution to this? Is there some config I could change? I can provide some pictures if that helps to explain the setup.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice given.

Router: Technicolor TG799VAC Xtream
Provider: Telia

THe printer is on one subnet and the computer is on another subnet thats the problem.
You must connect the computer to your router so the get same subnet.

I guess your computer and router have difrent ip for the moment too if you can have 2 ip from your provider.

Visa signatur

Moderkort: B550M AORUS PRO , Minne: 32GB 3600Mhz HDD1: Intel 660P M2 1TB, HDD2: Kingston A400 960GB CPU: 5900X, Kylning: NH-D15 black GPU: RTX 4080 VENTUS 3X OC Låda: Define 7 Compact Glass, PSU: RM650i
Mus: G502 Wireless Lightspeed, Tangentbord: Strafe RGB MK.2, Monitor: LC49G95TSSRXEN
Surfplatta: Huawei Mediapad M5, Telefon: Pixel 7 Pro

Permalänk
Medlem

I have the same type of box. Only one of the ports allow for internet connectivity. Assuming you supplier (Mine is Telia OpenNet) has the same configuration, you should use a router for your home network. Right now it appears as if all your computers are publicly accessible on the "internet".

If you have the same configuration as me, then you should connect port 1 (red) to WAN on a router. On the router you can connect our own equipment to ports denoted LAN 1-N.

/z

Visa signatur

C2D E6300 @ 3.2HGz 1.2V | Thermalright 120 Extr. | Gainward 8800 GT Golden Sample |Samsung 2x500Gb | Corsair VX 550V | Antec P182 [img]http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/421648.png[/img]

Permalänk
Medlem

Your router/firewall is doing exactly what it was designed to do. You cannot have your computer connected on the WAN side of the router and expect it to be able to communicate with devices on the LAN side (without a tunnel/VPN). You must connect the computer to one of the LAN ports on the router.

Visa signatur

Mostly Harmless

Permalänk
99:e percentilen
Skrivet av FRRN:

https://imgshare.io/image/NpedE5

https://imgshare.io/image/NpeMJQ

I'm not aware that I created a subnet but just in case I triggered a factory reset of the router, to no avail though.

Disclaimer: I'll be guessing quite a lot; I'm not an expert on this area.

I believe your computer is not actually connected to your router. It's most likely connected to a port on your media converter designated for something like IPTV, or not connected to anything at all. You should be able to tell by looking at the ethernet jack on your computer and see if there's a lit LED or not.

The thing is, each port on the patch panel on the right-hand side in the cabinet is basically just an extension to a wall jack in your apartment. I think you're supposed to put the router in the cabinet and then connect patch cables from the patch panel jacks (labeled 1, 2, …) to the ports on your router. That is, for each wall jack in your apartment you want working, you need a patch cable from the corresponding patch panel jack to your router. (If you run out of ports on your router, you can add a switch.)

If the wall jacks come in pairs (i.e. two adjacent jacks), you don't have to put your router in the cabinet. In that case, you can hook up the WAN port of your router to one wall jack (e.g. number 5) and one of the LAN ports to the adjacent one (e.g. number 6). Then, you need a patch cable from jack 5 on the patch panel to your media converter and one from jack 6 to the jack your computer is connected to. If you have more than one ethernet device, you will need a switch in the cabinet with this setup.

While, as previously stated, I'm taking a few guesses above, I happen to know that @Vedträd will know for sure how you should hook everything up.

Skrivet av FRRN:

I have a cabinet at the entrance of the apartment with a splitter that, through ethernet cables, distributes the internet to different ports of each room.

As you may have guessed by now, this is not what it does, and that's the reason why your current setup doesn't work.

Visa signatur

Skrivet med hjälp av Better SweClockers

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av FRRN:

Hi Viita, much appreciated for your reply.

Your wall of text was certainly clarifying and I think you are mostly right, no worries.

I took some pictures of the installation. It seems very similar to what you explained, except for the color layout. And at the moment I don't have plugged the digital TV Box that you mention, as you can see on my pictures.

https://imgshare.io/image/NpedE5

https://imgshare.io/image/NpeMJQ

Yes. That spliter is what I thought it was.
This splitter Ports:
Lan 1, Internet
Lan 2, Digital TV
Lan 3, VoIP (Phone over Internet)
LAN 4, Not used.

If you only have Internet, no TV over internet, no Phone over intenet, from the service provider, then you should only make use of LAN 1 on the Media Splitter.

Depending on if you have single ports or double ports in your appartment, there might be 2 ways of hooking it up.

Since I have no clue what port number goes to what which RJ45-outlet, I have just taken a guess, and you will have to identify which port is connected where. But maybe the pictures will be guidance enough.

If you have Wallsockets that only have single RJ45-outlets. I think the following sollution is what you want to go with:
Red Lines symbolizing the Ethernet Cables you mount
Blue lines symbolizing Ethernet Cables in the Walls.

If you have double RJ45-outlets, this is a possible solution if you wish to have the router in the livingroom:

Permalänk
Medlem

SOLVED!!
I have been rewiring exactly like you guys @Viita and @Alling suggested and that was the solution! And since I have double outlets I can place the router outside the cabinet.

Recapping, what I did was to plug another ethernet wire from the router to the second outlet in the living room and from there in the cabinet connect it to the wall sockets were the PC is plugged.

I really appreciate everyone who replied from taking some of your time to help me out. And special thanks to offering support in English.

P.S. Is it very critical if there is sensitive information on my uploaded pictures (e.g. MAC address)?

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av FRRN:

SOLVED!!

P.S. Is it very critical if there is sensitive information on my uploaded pictures (e.g. MAC address)?

Nice to hear that it works!

To be honest, I have no clue if that information is sensitive or not. I decided to cover it up in case someone else decides to use the pictures.