Permalänk
Medlem

Computer upgrade, water cooled [IN ENGLISH]

Hello,

First off you need to know that this is going to be entirely in English as I want as many people as possible to be able to take part of this. I also want my sponsor EK to be able to read and understand the text I have provided to each picture here.

This is a work in progress and I will try to keep it updated as best I can. A computer is after all a "never ending upgrade" (at least for some of us).

What is this build you might ask? Well, it's a build around the x58-chipset from intel with a powerful CPU, two powerful graphics cards running simultaneously in SLI, powered by a monster PSU, housed by a massive steel cage and cooled by a silent and elegant water cooling solution.

It all started with upgrading my GPUs from GTX 470 to GTX 570. Since I previously had full cover blocks for my GPUs, I had to get new blocks in order for them to fit my new GTX 570. I figured, since I already have disassembled the loop, I might just as well go big upgrade whatever I feel necessary. So, this ended up in a few new things being purchased:
- My heatkiller 3.0 full copper block has been replaced with a EK Supreme HF Full Nickel.
- My two EK copper+acetal GTX 470 blocks have been replaced with two new acetal+nickel blocks for GTX 570.
- I figured backplates would be cool, so I got a couple of those too.
- My previous Thermochill PA120.3s have been replaced with new XSPC RX360s. The reason for this can summed up with a quote from skinneelabs: "One of the bigger gripes many including myself have with the PA is the never-ending radiator flux. Even though I always quick flush before looping a radiator up, the PA was like the gift that kept giving, only the gift was flux and you did not want it." So after having to deal with this never ending flux for way too long, I decided to replace them.

I am going to use the same pump, barbs and tubes from my previous build. The pump is a MCP350 with a XSPC top+res mounted.

The computer parts are these:
- Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
- Zotac GTX 570
- Intel Core i7 930
- Coolermaster Real Silent Pro Gold 1200W
- Corsair Obsidian 800D
- Corsair DDR3 1600mhz CL8 ram + fan
- Intel X25-M 160GB G2
- Western Digital raptor 300GB
- Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
- Old Samsung drive 500GB

I have all of the components above, sitting either in the case, on my desk or in their respective packaging waiting to be used. I am however still (2011/02/03) waiting for a few parts to be replaced/delivered:
- As I said I bought 2 new XSPC RX360 rads. However, it turned out one of them had a leak so it has to be replaced. I should be getting my replacement some time next week (hopefully monday/tuesday)
- My water cooling parts from EK (CPU + 2x GPU + 2x Backplate) will arrive tomorrow (2011/02/04)
- It turns out that my XSPC res/top is defective because it cracked when I put the fittings in. I have contacted XSPC about this and it will be replaced. It should be here along with the radiator next week.

After I have received all of those parts, I will be able to finish this build!

Hopefully this "introductory" post has not been way too long and boring to read. Below you will find pictures from day one of the renovation till now.

Special thanks to EK for the sponsorship and Paul at XSPC for the excellent support!

Note: comments to this gallery can be made in Swedish or English! I would also like to apologize before hand for some of the bad pictures. I do my best, but I am not a pro and my camera isn't that good either!

Computer upgrade, water cooled [IN ENGLISH]

Permalänk
Medlem

Why did you have 4 470's and why "uppgrade" to 570 and not 580's It's not like it was a nessecary uppgrade either way.

Visa signatur

Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. Instead you multiply, and multiply, until every resource is consumed.
There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern... a virus.
CITERA CITERA CITERA

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av mini-ryttge:

Why did you have 4 470's and why "uppgrade" to 570 and not 580's It's not like it was a nessecary uppgrade either way.

Well the first ones I had (ASUS) were not working properly so I got a couple of new ones. The 570s seemed to be solid performers and the GTX 580 cost just a bit too much for me. I might "upgrade" in the future - the blocks+backplate fit 580-s after all :-)!

Permalänk

my XSPC DDC top cracked at exactly the sane spot that yours did.

Visa signatur

PC: i7 980X @ 4ghz | EVGA X58 Classified | 12 GB Corsair Dominator GT 2Ghz CL8 | GTX580 3-WAY SLI | 2,5tb Hdd | Corsair Obsidian 800D| Corsair AX 1200| Dell U3011 30" + 2st Dell 2007| Vantage P55000p+| VattenKylning | The Classified-X V2.5! |
Lek: 2600K ES (X54) och några olika 1155 brädor
Foto:Nikon D3s, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 35/1.4, 24-70/2.8, SB-900

Permalänk
Medlem

Great job!

I´m really looking forward to you´r updates. Btw, what was defective in the radiator?

I´m holding my points ´til you update a few more times ^^

Visa signatur

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Arne-Mohammed:

my XSPC DDC top cracked at exactly the sane spot that yours did.

Yeah that sucks. Weird thing is I tightened it by hand and they are the same thread size. It _should_ not crack. Either way, does not really matter -- a replacement is already on the way!

Permalänk
Skrivet av Kaspersky 0_o:

Yeah that sucks. Weird thing is I tightened it by hand and they are the same thread size. It _should_ not crack. Either way, does not really matter -- a replacement is already on the way!

i replaced my tops with EK X-Top V2 in Delrin :D. plexi is not so suited for WC, it cracks to easy

Visa signatur

PC: i7 980X @ 4ghz | EVGA X58 Classified | 12 GB Corsair Dominator GT 2Ghz CL8 | GTX580 3-WAY SLI | 2,5tb Hdd | Corsair Obsidian 800D| Corsair AX 1200| Dell U3011 30" + 2st Dell 2007| Vantage P55000p+| VattenKylning | The Classified-X V2.5! |
Lek: 2600K ES (X54) och några olika 1155 brädor
Foto:Nikon D3s, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 35/1.4, 24-70/2.8, SB-900

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Arne-Mohammed:

i replaced my tops with EK X-Top V2 in Delrin :D. plexi is not so suited for WC, it cracks to easy

I chose the XSPC top/res simply because it makes the pump so much more efficient, and it's a reservoir too! So it's a win-win kind of thing. Takes less space and performs remarkably.

Skrivet av Deathdancer:

Great job!

I´m really looking forward to you´r updates. Btw, what was defective in the radiator?

I´m holding my points ´til you update a few more times ^^

The radiator was leaking, a lot. It was leaking from the fins on the end where the barbs are.. if that tells you anything. Hard to see exactly from where, but it was somewhere in there. It sucks but what can you do.

Once thing I did notice is that these rads feel cheaper than my old Thermochills. Maybe it's just a bad experience since the first one was leaking, I don't know :P... Something that sucked was the paint job. It started peeling off immediately on the radiator that is not leaking. Luckily the paint peeled off in an area that I will not see, but it still sucks... I will take a picture of it tomorrow and upload it!

Permalänk
Medlem

Album updated, have a look!

Permalänk
Medlem

Well uh, update. For some reason my parts have ended up in France. They should be in Sweden on wednesday and with me on thursday. Lets pray things go my way for a change.

Permalänk
Avstängd

Is your clock 2,2Ghz?

Visa signatur

2600x||16GB @3000Mhz 14-14-10-14-32-46||Vega 64||1TB SSD||HX1000 plat||FD R6 TG vit||CH VII||H100i V2||SST-ARM22SC||SG 32" QHD 144 Hz VA|| https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t...

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Esseboy:

Is your clock 2,2Ghz?

CPU is at 4ghz. 191*21 = 4011mhz

It's at 2.2ghz idle

Permalänk
Avstängd

CPU is at 4ghz. 191*21 = 4011mhz

It's at 2.2ghz idle

hehe My first thought was hmm speed step xD

Visa signatur

2600x||16GB @3000Mhz 14-14-10-14-32-46||Vega 64||1TB SSD||HX1000 plat||FD R6 TG vit||CH VII||H100i V2||SST-ARM22SC||SG 32" QHD 144 Hz VA|| https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t...

Permalänk
Medlem

For those who are curious, I run att 6 Scythe GT fans on my BigNG where I control them with a curve according the CPU/radiator temp. Works fairly good. Even though it's a bit slow to progress. At 500rpm the fans are removing enough heat to keep my CPU at 60c so there's no real problem here any way. The ram fan is also running on the BIGNG. If the ram is <35C its not running, since I don't want/need excess noise. Once it goes above 35C it slowly increases the fan speed to keep it below 35C.

The case fans are running at 900-1000rpm per default, plugged into the mobo.

I alos have the MCP350 rpm signal connected to the bigng, just to make sure it's always running

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Esseboy:

hehe My first thought was hmm speed step xD

Yes I run speedstep and C1E aswell as hyper threading. I have not turned off any features. I can drop the temps 10C or more without HT :p...

Permalänk
Medlem

on the vantage test you have physx on thats little cheating. But nice work anyway

Visa signatur

asus maximus III formula. i7-860@4.083ghz. northq siberiantiger 2. kingston hyperx 2x2gb @1800mhzddr3. intel ssd 80gb g2. Fractal Design 1000w. Zotac gtx480 amp!(stock 756/1900)).

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Sc0rp1E:

on the vantage test you have physx on thats little cheating. But nice work anyway

It's a feature, why not use it :)? My gpu score is not affected by physx so my gpu score will remain the same.

Permalänk
Medlem

It's a feature, why not use it :)? My gpu score is not affected by physx so my gpu score will remain the same.

Yep its a feature but u cant counter the cpu score then when you compare to amd base graphiccard system.

Visa signatur

asus maximus III formula. i7-860@4.083ghz. northq siberiantiger 2. kingston hyperx 2x2gb @1800mhzddr3. intel ssd 80gb g2. Fractal Design 1000w. Zotac gtx480 amp!(stock 756/1900)).

Permalänk
Medlem
Skrivet av Sc0rp1E:

Yep its a feature but u cant counter the cpu score then when you compare to amd base graphiccard system.

plus its little boring when the second cpu test is on you have the same preformance as a cheap ass cpu

Visa signatur

Permalänk
Medlem

very nice rig dude, wanna trade against mine

Visa signatur

burken: I7 870@2.93Ghz| corsairA50| corsair 8gb@ 1333Mhz| powercolor,xfx 5870 crossifire+ 2x Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo Pro | corsiar f3 60gb, 3x500gb hdd| asusp7p55d| fractal design R3|corsair HX750w 80+
Kringutrustning: benq22" full hd lcd benq24"LED 2ms, | philips full hd 32"